Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Fruit of the Spirit: Love

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.- Galatians 5:22


At the prompting of the Holy Spirit, I am going to begin a (hopefully!) weekly Bible study on my blog. I am starting it specifically for some girls I, along with my friend Kristina, discipled at Emmanuel (our old church), but anyone is more than welcome to participate!

Here is the format: I am going to take a fruit of the Spirit each week and get YOU to study that particular fruit. That way, we can each learn what God wants us to learn! When you have completed the study for the week, post your responses as a comment. That way, we can all learn from each other! Then, at the end of the week, I will comment on everyone's responses and add some thoughts of my own.

So here we go for the first week:
Go to crosswalk.com and look at the top right corner. Enter the word "love" (Or whatever the topic of the week is) in the search engine where it says "Search the Bible." I used the New International version, and got 496 results! After this, choose ONE verse and then, go to your own Bible and read the entire chapter that includes that verse. For example, the first that came up is Genesis 20:13, so I would go to my Bible and read Genesis chapter 20. BUT since there are 496 results, each of you choose your own!

Then, comment on this post (you don't have to be a blogger to do this, just check the name/URL option and type in your name) and answer these questions:

1)Was the love talked about in the chapter you chose speaking of God's love towards man, man's love towards God, or man's love towards another person? Briefly summarize what the chapter is about, since we're all reading different ones!

2) What can we learn about love from this chapter?

3) What have you learned from this chapter that you need to apply to your life, concerning love, or anything else God wants you to learn?

Since this is the first week, I will do an example under the comments section. Try to have your responses in by next Thursday (August 7) and by then, the next topic should be posted! I am so excited about this! E-mail me if you have any questions!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I chose the 3third result: Gen. 29:18, so I read the entire chapter of Genesis 29.

1) The love in this chapter is speaking of man's love towards another person- specifically Jacob's love towards Rachel. He worked for 7 years to earn her hand in marriage, and then when that time was up, her father actually gave her his other daugher, Leah. So then Jacob worked 7 more years to marry Rachel! Talk about true love.

2) We can learn that expressing our love is not always easy. Jacob worked 14 years to get the love of his life, but because he truly loved her, it was worth it!

3) I learned that when God calls us to love someone (he calls us to love everyone!), it may take a lot of work to love that person, but it is worth it!

PS you single ladies- this is a great lesson in how your future hubby should love you! Don't settle! (that was free, extra info! :)