Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Doing Well

As a stay-at-home mom, I have struggled with feelings of "failing" and being overwhelmed a great deal of the time.

I have really had a hard time putting this into words. As my sweet husband always tells me, I am the one putting the pressure on myself! I recently read a blog post (which I could remember which one) about homeschooling. The author brought to light a thought-provoking fact to me: that as long as there are little children at home all day long, my house will never be perfect! Sounds strange that a stranger made it clear to me.

However, early one morning I had a thought finally come to me concerning WHY I feel this pressure to cook more, clean more, fuss less, teach more, discipline in a better way, have laundry caught up, ..... you get the drift. When I worked OUT of the home, I finished my job at the end of the day and went home. (except when teaching, of course.) But having results there was attainable and noticeable and lasted for at least a few minutes- and right now- I feel as though I am in a constant cycle of re-doing everything I did the last 24 hours! And I know this thought is nothing new... it has been haunting stay-at-home moms forever... But it helped to have it finally formulate in my own mind. I do consider myself somewhat intelliget and probably could have done well in the "outside world" but since I have chosen to walk this path of staying at home with these three (for now!) precious gifts... I need to know that I am doing it well. Because if not, that means my whole parenting life has not been done well.

So what does it mean to "stay-at-home" and do a good job at it? I would love to hear others' thoughts...


1 comment:

larami said...

Well I wish I had the answer, but the same question haunts me as well. Just when I catch myself wanting the actual "work day that ends" I realize that as moms, it just won't happen. The 8 to 5 may end, but we'll still come home to dinner and laundry and homework and the never-ending fight to prevent emotionally scarring the children. I suppose we'll just have to wait 20 years or so and see if we produce well-adjusted upstanding members of society. It's an awfully long time to wait on a performance report. But at least we can do it in our pj's if we want.